This post has been sponsored by Hotter Shoes who have also kindly gifted me my boots and handbag.
I love fashion – and I like to think of myself as a plus sized over 50 fashionista. Why not? We are all entitled to celebrate our bodies and the beautiful clothes we wear. I know that I always feel better when I am wearing something I love.
The seasonal wardrobe change over
I grew up in South Africa, where we had cold dry but short winters and long hot summers. The big wardrobe change over is a ritual that I have continued even though the seasons are quite different in Ireland.
- The first step is to haul the suitcases from under the bed. As I unpack last seasons clothes, I really try to do my first cull. Is there anything that is really tatty or something that I will probably never wear again? These go straight into a bag for recycling.
- The next step is to check if anything needs mending – realistically if I don’t mend it now, it will languish in the back of the wardrobe for another season.
- The next step is to empty my current wardrobe. There are some basics that are part of my wardrobe all year round so these don’t go into storage. I also keep a few summery thing out in a special section for winter sun holidays!
- As I pack my new season wardrobe into the wardrobe I take note of what I have, and consequently what I need. As you can imagine at 54 I have amassed lots of clothes and even after recycling, there isn’t a lot that I need.
- I then make a list of what I need, this season it is jeans and boots. My current boots are two years old and have been worn so often that they burn the soles of my feet on a good day in town. My body seems to have changed shape and I really need to treat my bum to a new pair.
- Finally there is also what I want! Money is tight but it is always good to add something that you might fall in love with.
What to buy?
Over the past few years my life has changed and I no longer need corporate wear, and have found that my casual wardrobe is growing. I still love dressing up for any occasion. I also like feeling a bit trendy and have found that the careful purchase of fashionable accessories is a great way of updating my wardrobe with minimum expense.
Once I had my wardrobe all packed away in sections – tops, bottoms, dresses, jackets and cardigans. The accessories were sorted with special attention to hats, scarves and gloves I was ready to make my wish list.
- Black boots and a fun pair if possible.
- A winter dress – not the easiest thing to find, but I do love my vintage so I knew where to look. Lindy Bop in the UK has the cutest vintage style, and I fell in love with a black swing style dress that was conveniently on sale. – pics of this soon – I promise.
- Jeans – well this is still on my list. I need to find the pair that makes me feel good. For now it is my old ones with a belt.
- I am still on the look out for all the perfect accessories, but then it is good to have something to shop for when I am away or out shopping.
Falling in love with online shopping
Traditional shopping is something I only do on occasion. My health has made me really sensitive to sounds and lights and I find it really tiring. I also get claustrophobic in the changing rooms.
Online shopping is my saviour. I never thought it would be possible to buy a pair of boots that fit so perfectly online. My first interaction with Hotter Shoes included a chat with their fitting expert. When my fabulous new boots arrived, I was only a little apprehensive. The first time I wore my boots I walked and walked and walked – no better recommendation.
I also bought my Lindy Bop dress online and based on previous purchases, I knew what size to buy, and it slipped on like it was made for me.
Footwear is probably the most important fashion item in my wardrobe
If my feet are not happy I am not happy. Comfort comes first even before fashion, although it is a close second. Because of this I always plan my outfits from the feet up. There is no point in putting a fabulous outfit together and then realising that you don’t have the shoes to finish it off.
My first choice from Hotter Shoes was these black Whisper boots – these are simply the most versatile ankle boots ever. They are smart enough to wear with tailored clothes and with dresses, but are equally suited to jeans. An extra selling point is that they have two zips rather than one. When you have awkward arthritic feet this is a fantastic feature.
As an extra treat I chose trendy Pixie boots with their suede print and tassels. These are simply boots that speak to my heart. I love the boho chic look right now, and these boots make me feel fabulous whenever I wear them. My feet also love them for their slipper like comfort.
Every good pair of shoes deserves a great handbag. Hotter also kindly gifted me the Laura handbag. This bag complements my pixie boots as it is wine with a black floral print. I took the bag with me on a recent trip to the UK. Such a brilliant bag, and ideal for fitting in everything you need for a flight.
All set for the season
I think I am almost set for this season! My wardrobe is tidy and getting ready every morning is a pleasure!
Thanks for reading and sharing my fashion journey.
One thought on “How to be a plus sized over 50 Fashionista!”
Totally agree with you with regard to shoes comfort essential but you also have to feel wow in them. Your skirt for travelling Kerry has led me to looking at dresses. Perhaps its time!!!!