Writing is a funny thing – it is a bit like walking or in fact any other kind of exercise. You need to do it. And do it regularly.
I had to take a break from writing (blog, book, diary) for a week or so due to a combination of commitments and sore hands.
When I returned to the computer I had the ‘joy’ of the blank page. What to write? How to start?
Even after consulting my little book of blogging ideas, and having a go at the next chapter of my book, I still couldn’t get started.
I need a cool drink. It’s hot. Oh – the dishwasher needs unpacking. Ah while I am in the kitchen I will put a load of washing on. Look at the time – I really should make some dinner.
One of my greatest procrastination techniques is to read blogs, or google ideas for writing.
The best piece of advice I have ever received is to simply write. Take a sheet of paper, or open a document and write. Even if you write about your day, or what you are thinking of making for dinner – Just write.
It may be that you produce a few hundred words that will never be seen by anyone, but you will be writing. It really is like exercise, one you get going you can go a little further, and a little further after that.
And then, of course you have to do it again tomorrow and the day after that.
I have so many areas of my life where I need to discipline myself into doing things. Making cards for the shop I supply. Walking, tidying clutter and of course writing.
Here are my few points to get going with that next blog post
- Keep a bloggers notebook. Jot down ideas as they come to you. You might never use them or they might simply be a kernel of an idea that grows into a great post.
- Give yourself a timetable – and try as much as you can to stick to it. I don’t always make it, but it is a gentle reminder. I do a motivational post, a beauty post and a quotation most weeks.
- When you are in a good writing space – prepare a few posts
- Write every day, even it if it simply a line in your diary. I use Penzu as an online diary.
- Pinterest is a great place to get inspiration. I have a few boards, and one of my favourites in the inspiration board. You can follow me here
- Read other blog posts. Not to copy but simply for inspiration.
- Finally make yourself a promise. Set time aside and simply do it.
I would love to hear any inspiration from other bloggers or writers.
Thanks for reading